What is this place?
Matralayam is a famous abode of Sri Guru Raghavendra swamy. He is a famous teacher and a devotee of Sri Rama. It is also believed that Swamy is an another incarnation of Lord Hanuman. Guru Raghavendra Swamy is very powerful and is most worshipped by Kannadigaas and Telugu people.
How to reach this place?
Located around 200 kms from Kurnool district in Andhra pradesh, Mantralayam has number of bus services run by APSRTC. If one is planning to travel by car, the road is very bad for at least upto 3-4 kms and the remaining is very scenic and utterly peaceful. One can observe the villagers lifestyle and the beauty of cotton, onion , rice and banana fields on the way. Small lakes and channels of water are present en-route the temple, it is advised to study the weather before hand and begin their trip.
Where to stay?
Number of hotels are available. Raghavendra mutt also provides accomodation in their cottages. Pre-booking may not be necessary.
What not to miss?
1. The amazing peace you find inside the temple. Do meditate for a while before the Vrindavan of the Guru. You attain amazing peace!
2. The lip smacking food offered by the temple annadanam scheme.
3. The panchamrutam (mixture of milk, curd, honey, banana and ghee) served at the counter for free. One glass fills your tummy while providing health and energy.
4. Shopping puja items at big shopping complex at the temple premises.
5. Bathing in Tungabhadra river and seeking blessings of Manchalamma devi before entering main temple.
6. Don’t buy water bottles from the shops outside. There is a free water camp inside the temple backside of panchamrutam counter and the water tastes just like Himalayan Ganga!
1. Gents must take off their shirts and banians before entering the temple and women are advised to wear sarees only.
2. Carry glasses of steel or use and throw away type to drink panchamrutam or water during meals at the annadaanam hall.