In the olden days, loss of memory, greying of hair, poor eyesight, hearing disabilities, joint pains etc. were the signs of aging. However, all these have become common ailments in the present generations owing to pollution in terms of water, air, sound, food, radiation and unhealthy lifestyle habits.
Many of us have the common experiences of forgetting our passwords, searching for spectacles, keys, mobile etc.,, Sometimes words doesn’t strike to our mind when we are talking something in front of everyone or we may not able to recollect very recent happenings. Though all these occur for everyone every now and then, things turn serious if they occur too frequently. That means you are not taking care of your brain that may push you into unwanted consequences. Let’s see all those easy changes and implementations in our daily life which help us to boost our brain power.
- If you are a right handed person, use your left hand to do your daily tasks like picking up phone call, locking the door, drinking coffee, collecting fruits in a market, brushing your teeth, bathing etc. This keeps both sides of your brain active.
- Get a happy eight hour sleep. Sleep rejuvenates brain cells. Remember that early to bed and early to rise is very good for you brain’s health.
- When you see some object or any thing, try recollecting its alternate form. For example, when an apple strikes your mind, instead of opting for a red colored image in your brain, try feeling its smell and taste. If you remember a puppy, recollect its barking and wagging of tail along with its look. By doing so, you can keep all your senses active.
- Involve in more mind games like sudoku, chess, crosswords, puzzles,memory games etc. and make them a part of your daily routine.
- Develop a hobby which is entirely different from your profession. For example, if you are a software engineer, you can opt on writing stories, songs, cartoons, learn cooking, craft making, gardening etc.
- Be a student lifelong. Always keep learning something. Studies say a higher educated person is less likely to develop dementia. You can learn new languages, go for some certifications, research on some interesting topics etc.
- Positive thoughts are always good to your mind. Stay positive and be in those companion who encourages you.
- Exploring to new places helps your mind to relax.
- Don’t stay alone.Socialize more with people. participate in sports, functions and all other gatherings. It helps to keep your brain active in the long run.
- Stimulate your senses as far as possible. Use different aromas for bathing, in the car, in the bedroom, at the office etc.
- Focus on a topic and don’t get distracted.
- Learn ten new difficult words daily along with their spellings and revise them daily.
- Try to remember all the phone numbers, license numbers, passwords etc. Revise them regularly and depend less on electronic gadgets.
- If you know different languages, keep speaking daily at various occasions. People who speak more than three languages are good at brain power.
- Watch less television and engage in more outdoor activities.
- Aerobic exercises pumps more oxygen to your brain cells. Do brisk walking, cycling, treadmill, cross training, swimming, jogging etc.
- Meditate and relax. Studies proved those who meditate daily are less likely to forget than those who don’t.
- Yoga is always at your help. Specified asanas are designed in yoga which improves your brain health. Follow them with your instructor’s advice.
The list of foods given below provides essential nutrients for brain functioning.
- Green and black teas
- Filter Coffee once a day
- Dark chocolates
- Flax seeds
- Food rich in fiber like fresh fruits and vegetables
- Pulses, whole grains
- Nuts, seeds
- Eggs, meat, Salmon
Drink enough water. Remember to cut down on sugar, junk food, smoking, heavy drinking. Don’t opt for fad diets or meals at irregular timings. Follow your body clock designed for your genes and don’t skip meals.